Tuesday 11 November 2014

How I Consume and Produce Films


Typically, I try to go cinema every time a new film comes out that I want to see; this can sometimes result in me going to the cinema multiple times in a month with either my family or friends. Since I have the option of traveling to the cinema by bus or by car, it makes it easier for me to go as often as I would like. At home i will tend to watch films at home either on my television and since I have a sky box, I have the option to watch films on Sky movies or Sky on demand, Netflix, dvd or blu-ray. I find it easier to watch films digitally, as it is much less time consuming and it also allows me to watch HD films instantly without the need to go out and buy the physical copy.

 When watching films, i prefer to watch them on blu-ray since my playstation offers the ability to play them, especially if it is an old or special effects heavy film. Blu-ray allows me to use my HD television to experience films in a way that is closer to a cinema standard. This results in a higher price but I am willing to pay it for the extra quality, especially if it is a film that I can enjoy multiple times. I tend to buy films that i feel that i could watch multiple times on dvd or blu-ray and only rent ones that i would feel less of a need to re-watch. Places such as Sky movies or Netflix allows me to watch or rent a film before i commit to buying a physical copy and as a result allows me to save some money that i I could have wasted on a film that I would have only ended up watching once.

I use the internet on my phone, playstation or television and use websites like Netflix and occasionally Amazon Prime if i want to stream a film from the selection that is offered. The internet has made an effect on the way that I consume films because I am able to stream multiple films for free instead of buying them at full DVD prices. I prefer to watch Netflix on a television because of the bigger screen and better sound quality, but the ability to use it on my iPhone allows me to access them much more easier, but i have to sacrifice the screen size and sound quality unless i go through the trouble of buying more expensive headphones that can offer a better quality.

 I spend a lot of time on websites like youtube that offer a vast variety of content. On youtube i can enjoy hours of free content created by non-professionals that cover a wide range of themes and genres. This doesn't effect the way that I view professionally made films, but instead broadens the range of film that I am able or willing to watch by looking at the multiple categories of films available on the website. Youtube also greatly aids the film industry as it is full of adverts that showcase new professional films that are being made and the website also offers a platform to debut new trailers and clips on to promote the film to millions of people. The process that can be seen on youtube of making your own low budget films appeals to me and the more I watch the variety of content, the more inspired I feel to create my own.

 The type of film dictates who i watch them with, if i want to watch a film that requires concentration or thought i will tend to watch it by myself or in limited numbers, if i am with my friends i will watch a horror film or a comedy that doesn't require much attention and allows us to enjoy the film without focusing too much on content. This attitude is aided by the use of websites like Netflix that offer a range of films that I can choose to watch with whoever I am with. This process is made easier by the quick navigation between films that is offered and it also allows for me to select a range of films without buying them, giving me a wide range of choices.

 I have a good range of cameras that i can use for capturing good quality film. I use the camera on my phone typically for leisure purposes, either with friends or on social media websites. I have made some videos for my friends in the form of edited clips on vine that offers a good promotion to amateur film making and I have filmed some important family events like birthdays or christmases for the family that we can look back on in the future. My iPhone is probably the most used camera that I own currently when i video funny or important moments with my friends or family for comical purposes and also for sentimental purposes. I can choose to share these moments on social media websites like Instagram, Snapchat or Vine that allow me to instantly share film wit all of my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment